Surgical Instructions: Sedation
Patient Instructions for Intravenous Sedation and General Anesthesia
- Have absolutely NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK (NOT even water) after midnight on the evening prior to surgery.
- Medication you would normally take on the morning of surgery, should be taken as scheduled, with a sip of water, unless you have been told otherwise.
- NO alcohol or smoking for 24 hours before admission and no smoking for 2 weeks following surgery.
- Do NOT drive your own car or plan to ride on public transportation after intravenous sedation or a general anesthetic. Arrange for a responsible adult TO STAY IN OUR OFFICE during your operation, take you home and look after you at home.
- Wear loose fitting clothes, slacks and short sleeves, a minimum of make-up, avoid high heels and coloured nail polish.
- Please remove all jewelry, including rings.
- Please remove contact lenses before surgery.
- It is a requirement that a consent form be signed for all patients. If you are under 18 years of age, PLEASE ARRIVE ACCOMPANIED BY YOUR PARENT(S) OR GUARDIAN who must sign the consent form on your behalf. If you are completely independent and under the age of eighteen (18) years, you may sign the consent form.
- If you are unable to keep your appointment, please notify this office IMMEDIATELY. Failure to give such notification at least 1 week in advance will result in a cancellation fee being charged to you for reserved surgical suite facilities
- The Alberta Health Care plan does not cover dental care.