Skip to main content
Surgical Instructions: Intravenous Sedation and General Anesthetic
- NIGHT BEFORE SURGERY – Eat a normal meal and drink plenty of non-alcohol containing fluids.
AFTER MIDNIGHT – No solid foods are to be ingested and no milk or milk substitutes are to be ingested.
UP UNTIL 3 HOURS BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL TIME – Intake of CLEAR liquids is allowed including water, apple juice, black coffee/clear tea (without milk, milk substitutes or cream), Gatorade, Powerade and Pedialyte (all liquid must be see-through). Discontinue all fluid intake (including chewing gum/mints) 3 hours prior to your arrival time. If it’s not on the aforementioned list, please do not drink it.
- The medication you would normally take on the morning of surgery should be taken as scheduled, with a mouthful of water, unless you have been told otherwise.
- NO alcohol or smoking for 24 hours before admission and no smoking for 2 weeks following surgery.
- Please arrange for one responsible adult to transport you to and from our facility who can also care for you at home following surgery. We request your ride stay in close proximity to our facility while you are having surgery (wi-fi available). We also ask that you limit the number of individuals accompanying you the day of surgery.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes, slacks, and short sleeves, a minimum of make-up, avoid high heels and coloured nail polish and remove all jewelry. This includes facial piercings in or around the nose & mouth.
- Please remove contact lenses before surgery
- It is a requirement that a consent form is signed for all patients. If you are under 18 years of age, PLEASE ARRIVE ACCOMPANIED BY A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN who must sign the consent form on your behalf. If you are completely independent and under the age of eighteen (18) years, you may sign the consent form.
- If you are unable to keep your appointment, please notify this office IMMEDIATELY. Failure to give such notification at least 1 WEEK in advance will result in a cancellation fee of $250 being charged to you for reserved surgical suite facilities.
- We appreciate a fragrance-free environment.