Surgical Instructions: Intravenous Sedation and General Anesthetic
- NIGHT BEFORE SURGERY – Eat a normal meal and drink plenty of non-alcohol containing fluids (intake of food and fluids are allowed until midnight). After midnight, intake of water only is allowed until 3 hours prior to your arrival time.
- Please Note: No other type of fluid intake is permitted after midnight (only water). No food intake is permitted after midnight.
Any medication you would normally take on the morning of surgery should be taken as scheduled, with a mouthful of water, unless you have been told otherwise.
NO alcohol or smoking for 24 hours before admission and no smoking for 2 weeks following surgery.
- Please arrange for one responsible adult to transport you to and from our facility who can also care for you at home following surgery. We request your ride stay in close proximity (within a 10-minute drive) to our facility while you are having surgery. Due to COVID guidelines, only those that are under the age of 18 or over the age of 18 but classified as a dependent may be accompanied by an adult/legal guardian. Should you have mobility issues and require assistance, you may bring a companion/assistant with you to your appointment.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes and short sleeves (for monitor placement), minimal make-up, avoid high heels and coloured nail polish and remove all facial jewelry (particularly in or around the nose, mouth and tongue).
- Please remove contact lenses before surgery
- It is a requirement that a consent form is signed for all patients. If you are under 18 years of age (or over 18 years of age but still considered a dependent under the law), PLEASE ARRIVE ACCOMPANIED BY A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN who must sign the consent form on your behalf. If you are completely independent and under the age of eighteen (18) years, you may sign your own consent form.
- If you are unable to keep your appointment, please notify this office immediately. Failure to give such notification at least 1 WEEK in advance could result in a cancellation fee of $250 being charged to you for reserved surgical suite facilities.
- We appreciate a fragrance-free environment.